365 Million People Live with Excessive Sweating: Here's How (and Why) to Help
With 4.8% of the population fighting uncontrollable, out-of-nowhere, drenching sweat, it’s imperative we shine a spotlight on hyperhidrosis (Hh) for greater understanding, compassion and care.
The world needs to know that Hh:
- Causes sweating that is often five times more than the amount needed for temperature regulation or considered "normal" as a reaction to stress.
- Leads to uncontrollable, no-fault sweating that can soak through clothing and water-damage electronics. This makes Hh awareness especially important at school, at work, and in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields.
- Negatively impacts functioning, connections, confidence, and dreams.
- Is associated with much higher rates of anxiety & depression.
- Has damaging quality-of-life impacts equal to or greater than severe acne & psoriasis.
- Increases risk of skin infections by 300%.
- Is more common than peanut allergies.
So, this November (and every November until we find a cure) the International Hyperhidrosis Society (IHhS) is championing efforts to raise hyperhidrosis awareness through non-commercial information and support.
Here’s what’s happening and how you can get involved:
- Tell us your hyperhidrosis story and you may be selected to record it in a professional studio, and then have it added to the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS as well as the International Hyperhidrosis Society's new AUDIO collection. Documentation is crucial to raising the visibility of, and focus on, the struggles of those living with excessive sweating. As part of this #MyHhStory AUDIO Project, a key hyperhidrosis story will become the first entry in our new audio library and will also be archived in the Library of Congress. The selected storyteller, and a companion, will receive travel and accommodations for recording. Submit your Hh story for consideration through the #MyHhStory AUDIO project submission form. Entries will become part of SweatHelp.org’s written collection of real Hh voices, as well. The submission deadline for your written statement is Friday, November 30th by 11:59pm PST, so we encourage you to get started writing - it's just 500 characters! Story selection will be announced Dec. 12, 2018. The selected representative Hh story will be recorded during the first quarter of 2019. Collecting representative hyperhidrosis stories ensures our voices are heard for posterity. Thanks for participating!
- Watch for our #MyHhStory VIDEO premiere, and share the landmark documentary debut far and wide. We're launching a new video showcasing the perseverance and resilience of hyperhidrosis sufferers, and the work of IHhS to support them. Get ready to be inspired. We hope this will be the first of many uncensored and unscripted hyperhidrosis stories we can record on video: stories from all walks of life that illustrate the significance, diversity and impact of hyperhidrosis.
- Learn about the impacts of Hh at work. IHhS is working with companies to educate and support employees about hyperhidrosis and appropriate workplace accommodations. This is important because, in a 2016 study, 8.8% of people 18-39 years old (key career advancement years!) were found to have hyperhidrosis. IHhS is helping companies see the benefits of recognizing hyperhidrosis at work. More companies are encouraged to bring hyperhidrosis accommodations and understanding to their workplaces, for greater employee wellness, productivity and loyalty. Human resource professionals and other business leaders can contact us to learn how.
- Tell the healthcare providers in your life about us. Talking directly to pediatricians, school nurses, dermatology nurses, dermatologists, and other healthcare professionals, IHhS is using Hyperhidrosis Awareness Month as a key time to raise clinical expertise in excessive sweating. Including continuing medical education events, a directory of "in the know" providers, and targeted educational campaigns, this outreach to the medical community is an impactful part of IHhS’ mission as it addresses the imperative to improve diagnosis and treatment gaps.
- Join the conversation on Facebook for a chance to win weekly #KnowSweatGiftBox giveaways valued at nearly $500 each, courtesy of entrepreneurs who innovate with the hyperhidrosis sufferer — and the condition’s many forms — in mind. All prize winners must be subscribed to the International Hyperhidrosis Society blog to qualify. To sign up, just click here. You'll receive the latest hyperhidrosis news and advice straight to your inbox. #KnowSweatGiftBoxes will be mailed in December - just in time for the holidays! For more social activity, find us on Twitter, Instagram @WeKnowSweat, and YouTube. #KnowSweatGiftBoxes, however, will be awarded based on Facebook activity.